5.05.2009

Pillowtalk

So I'm doing laundry and mostly minding my own business in the boys' room. I was raised by a pathologically suspicious mother, so my genetic and nurtured tendencies bend to the paranoid. (Mom once went through my purse in my senior year of high school and came up with the little plastic tube one finds in tampon applicators, the part used to push the tampon in, and stalked into the living room, where I was, with a triumphant look on her face: "I knew you were doing drugs," she said. As soon as I could pull myself off the floor, where I had crumpled in hysterics, I pointed out the real and true use of the tube she was holding in her prying hands, and watched as that realization dawned.) However, since I started taking a pill for that, I've managed to get through the day without having a dozen delusions about what my innocent little kidlets are up to when left to their own devices.

I mean, they are six and two point five, so there's not a whole lot to worry about yet, right?

I figure I've got a while to go before I have to start checking for crumpled up socks stuffed into corners of the closets, although an episode of "Weeds" has me a bit paranoid about how soon I should start my searches.

Back to the laundry-doing, though - I decided it was time to wash the snot-ridden pillow case Dash had been sleeping on after a week-long cold sent his nose into overdrive. Upon lifting up the stinker's pillow, I found the following still-life arrangement on the mattress underneath:

Three wooden knives, the very ones I had been searching for a couple of days before because the boys and I had been playing kitchen together.

And a Hot Wheels car with a fist graphic on it.

What demons has my toddler been slaying in his dreams that he felt the need to arm himself with wooden carving implements? Every one he could get his devious little hands on, no less. And what connection and/or correlation should I make to the miniature graphic reminiscent of the Black Power sign?

I'm wondering if this is how PeeWee Herman got his start?

No comments: