2.08.2009

Endowments and other lofty ideas...

Took the boys to the Barkley Hendricks exhibit at the Studio Museum in Harlem today.

One of the Hendricks portraits was called "Brilliantly Endowed," a self-portrait of the artist. In a hat. And glasses. And NAKED as the day he was born.

So Dash came over and stood next to me, and pointed to Hendricks's hooha and said, "Mamae, wook." (He's doing w's for l's these days.)

And Luca wanted to know what the painting was called.

I hesitated for a moment because I was still traumatized from the Sex Talk, where L asked me how a baby gets in my belly and I told him Sex, and he asked what Sex is.

Having skipped my morning snack, I was low on creative skills. So I told him the name of the painting, hoping he wouldn't ask what it meant. Because I wasn't about to start explaining endowment to my six-year-old in a loft-space gallery surrounded by hipsters and nearly-sleeping security guards.

That will just have to wait until we go to the Nude Camp this summer.

No comments: